Friday, May 30, 2008

Nintendo DS

Some things, are just great. I've recently come into possession of a Nintendo DS and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I'm a huuuuuge Zelda fan having lost many a long hour to the series.

However, as I didn't really get into it until it turned 3D (having done most of my gaming on the Amiga rather than a NES/SNES) I've, wait for the shock, never actually played a 2D Zelda before.

Phantom Hourglass, is, admittedly, more of a top down isometric style view, but the game play has more in common with the old style 2D stuff than with the others I've played.

This is reassuring to me on many levels - firstly, I've already happily whiled away a lengthy train journey exploring dungeons etc, only mildly embarassed by blowing at the DS and talking to it when the game requires.

Secondly, it reconfirms my belief that I like innovative interesting puzzle games the most (after having gotten into Call of Duty and its ilk on my Xbox) and am therefore an interesting and suitably geeky gamer that doesn't value HD gun fests above interesting puzzles.

Thirdly - It's gotten the missus interested. She's probably spent as much time on it as I have (but hasn't got as far - ha!).

So all that's needed now is to find her a nice blonde friend and a couple of green outfits and I'm away.

Mario Kart next.

No comments: